Pakistan’s captain Babar Azam candidly discussed their shortcomings and identified the turning point in their surprising defeat to the USA in the T20 World Cup. In a thrilling encounter that captivated fans, the USA secured a remarkable victory over Pakistan in the Super Over.

Pakistan found themselves struggling at 26/3 when Babar Azam and Shadab Khan took the crease. The pair managed to stabilize the innings, crafting a promising 72-run partnership. However, the team’s fortunes changed when Shadab Khan’s attempt to sweep over short fine leg failed, leading to their downfall.

The unfamiliar conditions and an unanticipated USA team proved challenging for Pakistan. The Pakistani batsmen struggled to spend time on the pitch, while the pacers failed to find their rhythm. Fielding errors further compounded their difficulties, allowing the USA to maintain pressure until the final three overs.

“The first six overs, the ball was holding and was swinging. But the more partnerships we build, the better for us. When Shadab and I started the partnership, we got momentum. I think when we lost the wickets back-to-back, that was the turning point. When you got momentum, you lost it because of losing wickets,” Babar stated in the post-match press conference.

“We are not playing good in all three departments. We are better than that in the bowling, we are not in the first six overs taking wickets. In the middle overs your spinner is not taking wickets then pressure is on us. But I think the way they finished the game in the super overs I think credit to the US team,” Babar stated.

“It was difficult in the beginning, but we covered it. But as a professional, you have to step up against such a performance or such a team in the batting, in the middle order. This is not an excuse that they played well. I think we played badly,” he attached.

Babar Azam did not shy away from a critical assessment of their performance across all departments. Despite the defeat, he expressed a sense of optimism. “To be honest, I am feeling good. If you lose a match, you are always upset. I think we are not playing well on both sides. Fielding, bowling, and batting,” Babar acknowledged.

Pakistan managed to post a total of 159/7, thanks in part to Shaheen Afridi’s late big hits. In response, the USA seemed well-positioned to chase down the target, with Andries Gous and captain Monank Patel contributing a 68-run partnership.

Pakistan staged a comeback with their pacers delivering consistent line and length. With the USA needing five runs off the final ball, Nitish Kumar hit a four to push the game into the Super Over.

Mohammad Amir, who had performed admirably in the penultimate over, was entrusted with bowling the Super Over. Unfortunately, he struggled with his line, bowled a couple of wides, and conceded 18 runs. In reply, Pakistan could only muster 13/1, allowing the USA to clinch a 5-run victory.

This defeat highlighted the areas needing improvement for Pakistan, including adaptability to unfamiliar conditions, consistency in fielding, and maintaining composure in high-pressure situations.

Disclaimer:

The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as a health advice. We would ask you to consult a qualified professional or medical expert to gain additional knowledge before you choose to consume any product or perform any exercise.

Write A Comment

sixteen + 19 =

SUBSCRIBE NEWS LETTER

By navigating our site, you agree to allow us to use cookies, in accordance with our Privacy Policy.